Thursday, January 5, 2012

Vacation Theory

A vacation is something we usually do it with just our family of four.  I never understood why anyone would want to plan a vacation with another family.  I love to have others over for dinner; we do it at least several times a month, and have overnight visitors from time to time.  But when anyone would throw out the possibility of traveling somewhere together my gut would immediately wrench.  The thought of planning meals, organizing itineraries, potential fights between kids, potential disagreement between adults, the pressure to talk, talk, talk for more than 24 hours terrified me.

Because vacations are so few and far between, I held it as a sacrosanct time for our family and wanted no part in sharing it with others.

  I exhausted every excuse I could both plausible and not; I was feeling under the weather; we had been away from home 7 out of the last 10 nights prior; this was all too last minute; the kids would be tired and the list went on when I found out we were invited to spend a couple nights away with family friends.  But when my husband retorted, "This was exactly the answer I expected.  Even if the situation were ideal you wouldn't want to go."  I didn't have to think twice, I knew he was right.  But I was convicted that the idea of vacationing by ourselves was to protect me and my wants rather than those of my family.  So I surprised all of us and said, "Okay, let's try it."

And we all had a fantastic time.  I was stressed about food, but it all worked out easily.  I was worried about scheduling, but our companions vacationed in that area regularly, and already had a plan.  I thought there would be fights, but there was little fighting to be had.  Yes, everyone was tired at the end of the trip, but we enjoyed it all.  The other family suggested we do this again, and many more times if possible.  I responded with a, "We would love to!" and meant it.  Night swimming, bowling, eating, movie-watching, ice-skating and the kids slumber-partying was awesome to watch and the adults' conversation ranged from serious to the inane.  None of it felt forced and it was just plain fun.  My vacation theory was blown out of the water. Here's to hoping many more of my bunk theories get the same treatment this year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment