Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Some Effort

So one of my favorite bloggers decided to write out a "word(s) of the year" idea in lieu of a new year's resolution. I like that idea because of its low probability in leading to utter failure. How can you utterly fail at accomplishing the word, "Share" or "Yes" all the time?  You can't, right?  You can be faulted some of the time, but it's not as easily quantifiable as "Going to the gym everyday."  And that sounds good to me.  I chose the phrase "some effort."  Why?  Because some effort is better than no effort. Let me explain.
image from http://www.homeroutines.com/

For example, I am putting "some effort" into my night time skincare routine.   This means I am going to try and take better care of my skin.  And it's been working! I have been washing my face every night. I hear some of you scoffing, but yes, I have fallen flat asleep without cleansing my face more often than I care to admit. I have been washing, dabbing it with astringent, applying wrinkle cream, then lotion afterwards.  To be doing that is a major feat for someone who is willing to waste an hour "pinning" but not two minutes washing her face.

The nature of the words "some effort" means it is beyond that which I am already doing.  No matter where you are on the scale of things, there is always room for improvement. "Some effort" inherently acknowledges that one can and should grow in any given area, yet it provides enough grace for me to be free from feeling guilty when I haven't accomplished it perfectly or completely.  Forward movement, not perfection nor monumental jumps is what I'm aiming for here.  I am sure normal folks will be able to navigate the specific goal-setting plans will work.  I know I am just plain crazy though!

I'm going to put some effort now into getting the laundry folded.

No comments:

Post a Comment