Friday, September 30, 2011

Tick, Tock, Face/Pin Time

I am embarrassed to admit how much time I have wasted online trying to find the best bargain on an item that doesn't cost much to begin with, and it took my husband's question, "Isn't your time worth more than that?" to rethink my incremental savings strategy.  Being a SAHM I have the time and ability to search for coupons, but it always comes at the sacrifice of something else, be it house chores, cooking, reading, exercising, or at worst, spending time with my kids.  I still struggle with this because I truly HEART the internet, for all the information and inspiration I gain online.  My new pinterest site has only fanned the flames of my desire to be online all the time and my time on facebook something I dare not speak of. There is something to be said about the good that the internet offers.  There are also ways to describe the  time-sucking and energy-wasting nature of facebook, pinterest, mommy blogs, frugal blogs, and you name it.  It took me about a year to realize that it would be okay if I didn't find out about my high school friend's child's friend's birthday party at the zoo within 5 minutes of her posting it.  Seriously, a year.  Now, I am at peace with myself when I've learned it 15 minutes after her original posting.  It takes alot of practice in patience friends, to develop healthy facebooking practices like me.  Snort.  I am a work in progress...

Anyway, I hope you know you are not alone in your desire to improve yourself or your home or life and learn new things via the brilliance of people posting their brilliant ideas on the internet.  There is much good to be learned!  But, if you find that this only leads to discouragement and discontentment in your life, can I challenge you to think twice before you continue on?  At that point inspiration doesn't inspire, it leads to jealous desires, and obsessive "pinning" may lead to you just pining.  Pining after personal talents, resources like time, money, connections, and things.

One of the things about pinterest is that at least in my case, I never really go back to the stuff I've already pinned.  I'm already over it and looking for new things to pin.  Such is my heart with stuff; nothing really ever satisfies me and I will always be looking for the next big things.   Slowly I am giving over some of those  facebook minutes over to prayer and the reading of the Bible and I'm finding that investment is far more worthwhile and enjoyable. I've really been missing out lately on that, and that is far better time spent than looking at those pictures from the zoo birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment